Arcade Otaku: The Rules
Arcade Otaku: The Rules
Arcade Otaku aims to be a friendly community space for fans of arcade culture and collectors of arcade equipment. We value the appreciation and preservation of original arcade games. We are not a resource for the creation of "bootleg" hardware or a marketplace to profit from.
The forum is subject to the following rules. However, we reserve the right to judge each thread individually and moderate at our discretion, in line with the above mission statement.
General Forum Rules:
- New members have restricted access and your first post will require approval by a moderator before it is displayed on the forum. You will not be able to use the Marketplace until then. We suggest you start in the introductions thread.
- Please respect new members, we've all been there.
- Open discussion of "unofficial hardware" (bootlegs, conversions, multi-games etc) is allowed, but only if it falls in line with our mission statement. If a moderator decides your thread or Wiki entry's primary purpose is to advertise your product or provide instruction on how to create unofficial hardware/software, it will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned. Stealing other peoples work will also get your thread deleted.
- Swearing is allowed in moderation, but barrages of abuse or personal attacks will not be tolerated. There is an optional swear filter in the User Control Panel".
- The forum should be safe to view in a work or family environment. This means pictures or video of a pornographic or explicit nature are not allowed. No dodgy avatars please.
- Keep image quoting to a minimum.
- Users found to be using more than one account will be banned without warning.
- Please try and use the search functions and post in existing topics where it makes sense, even if they are old.
- Members with a zero post count have no access to the Marketplace, and posting in the Marketplace does not add to your post count.
- Keep your post count up. We carry out regular maintenance whereby post counts are recalculated, and members with zero posts may be deleted without warning. Please contribute to avoid being deleted!
- Members that hit 1000 posts are eligible for a custom rank. PM an administrator with your desired choice.
- No affiliate links allowed.
- Please keep all sales adverts to the Marketplace. If these are related to a business, that means the business section. Please read the Marketplace rules below thoroughly.
You must supply the following information in your sales thread:
- A link to feedback on eBay or another forum if you have less than 5 positive feedback as a seller within the forum system. Buyers should verify this feedback personally. You can add your eBay username to your profile in the User Control Panel.
- Your location. Please add this to your profile in the User Control Panel.
- Prices for all items, even "Interest Checks". If you're unsure, post in the Valuations thread.
Sales of unofficial hardware and software (bootlegs, conversions, multi-games etc) are allowed, however:
- The hardware in question can’t have been produced by yourself and you can only sell one of this item per year. We do this to ensure sellers aren't profiteering from unofficial hardware, for example converting original PCBs to more expensive games just to sell on.
- Members found to be lurking solely to profit from wanted ads for such hardware will be banned.
- All unofficial hardware is to be described accurately and be in no way misleading. Bootlegs or conversions for example should be clearly described as such.
- Complaining about prices (thread poisoning) is not allowed, unless the item in question is unofficial, in which case prices can be challenged in line with our mission statement.
Generally speaking, don’t be a dick. If you’re in it for the money and don't wish to contribute to the community, you’re in the wrong place.
Other Marketplace Rules:
- Items should be in full working order unless stated otherwise.
- Any known repairs or alterations to PCBs should be noted.
- Shipping insurance is presumed to be included unless stated otherwise. If you're not prepared to cover lost or damaged items yourself, give your buyer the option of paying the extra for an insured service. If the buyer chooses not to pay insurance or requests a low customs declaration, it is at the buyer's risk of loss or damage. Always ship expensive items via a tracked service and keep hold of the tracking number in case of a Paypal chargeback.
- Any photos must be of the exact item for sale and not borrowed from elsewhere.
- All items sold should be shipped within a week of payment unless otherwise stated within the original thread. If the forum team receive multiple complaints about slow dispatch times, the seller will be suspended from the marketplace. If you cannot meet these terms and provide a professional service, do not sell here.
- Please do not open multiple topics unnecessarily. You are allowed no more than two active threads on the first page of each section at any one time. You can lock and unlock your own sales threads, you do not need a moderator to do this for you.
- If a dispute arises that you would like to discuss with forum members, please use the Dispute Resolution Thread.
- Paypal disputes should only be opened as a last resort. Buyers should troubleshoot a non-working PCB by checking voltages, re-seating chips etc. Ask on the forum if you need advice. Any disputes should be raised on the forum first in the Dispute Resolution Thread. Problems can usually be resolved amicably this way. Opening a Paypal dispute straight away places restrictions on the seller's account and causes acrimony. Buyers may be banned for not following the correct forum dispute procedure.
- Please remember that sending or receiving a Paypal Gift/Friends & Family payment entitles you to no Paypal protection and should only be done with trusted forum members and at your own risk!
- "For Trade" threads must give some examples of items you would like in exchange and should not be used as a way around the prices rule.
- No excessive thread "bumping".
- Do not delete items from your sales thread when sold, just in case any disputes arise on receipt.
- No gazumping. Listed or agreed prices are final.
- The creator of the thread has first refusal in wanted ads.
- Marketplace threads will be automatically purged 90 days after the last post date.
- Do not be afraid to leave appropriate feedback if a deal has been unsatisfactory. You can always appeal unjust or retaliatory feedback by contacting one of the forum team. If you make a mistake posting feedback, you can fix it by posting correct feedback and contacting an administrator to delete the wrong line.
- Please familiarise yourself with the list of banned members.
Please use the "Report this post" button to notify the forum moderators if a post breaks any rules.
By posting on the forum you are agreeing to the above terms and conditions. Please note Arcade Otaku takes no responsibility for deals made on the forum. It is up to you to protect yourself by checking reputations and obtaining proof of postage.
Thanks for reading. We hope you enjoy the forum.