Fighting Soccer (Bootleg) Repair Logs

From Arcade Otaku Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Repairer: Elgen
Forum Thread: Fighting Soccer (Bootleg) PCB Repair

Now this board is a relatively new investment (from the same batch as M.I.A. http://elgensrepairs.blogspot.com/20...a-rep-log.html). A bootleg of SNK's Fighting Soccer. Before even connecting it, I could see that it have seen better days.

Here a broken cappy...

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 1.jpg

And had someone tried to drill holes in the PCB???

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 2.jpg

...not only two but THREE PLACES...WTF?!

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 3.jpg

Without getting my hopes up too high, I replaced the broken cap and hooked the poor thing up in the bench. Well first thing I noticed: No sound! But when I turned the volume pot on the board up, I did hear a hissing sound (It Still Alive };-)). Hmmm, a fast check with the voltmeter and it was obvious that this board didn't get -5V. Soon I found out why?! My JAMMA-extender didn't have -5V wired (note to self: Why do you keep buying premade stuff, that you could have done better yourself? Grrrr). Tried to hook up the board directly in the benches JAMMA-slot...

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 4.jpg

...and heard the well known SNK-boot-jingle from the speakers };-D Wired the -5V on the extender and hooked the board up again. A lot of the sprites had horizontal stripes through them.

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 5.jpg



Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 6.jpg

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 7.jpg

By shortening adjacent pins on different RAMs and ROMs I quickly saw, that the graphics was (as with most boards with 2 PCBs) handled by the secondary PCB. So tested all data and address pins on the RAMs and ROMs with the scope, but found no oddyties. Now, it way getting late and I felt a bit tired. I did however decide to do a little piggy-backing of TTLs before going to bed. The board have a cluster of 3 245's in the middle and I just happen to have a tube of them on the table, so I thougth: Let's give it a try:

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 8.jpg

...and to my big surprise, all sprites looked normal again. Quite a lucky punch (I so i thougth!). I quickly desoldered the IC and put it in my Top2005+ for testing...hmm, the test came out successful??? The one I've used for piggy-back (the one from tube) also passed the test. Fitted a socket and inserted the new one: Stripes through sprites! Inserted the old one back into the socket: Stripes through sprites!! Piggy-backed the new one on top of the old one: Still stripes through sprites!!! (BTW: Did you notice that the words "sprites" and "stripes" have the exact same letters...kind'o'funny };-P). Now I was really puzzled...Then tried piggy-backing the new on top of the 2nd 245 in the batch of 3: No stripes??? WTF! I wanted to get to the bottom of this, so desoldered the 2 others as well and fitted sockets.

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 9.jpg

Slammed in 3 new ones from the tube: Stripes! Put the old ones back: Stripes! (MOAN!) I discovered that one of the 245's wasn't inserted fully into the socket. With the board still running I gave it a push, and the stripes went away?! Released the pressure and stripes came back. Began pressing on IC's in the surrounding area: Same thing happend!!!

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 10.jpg

Picked up the board and bended it slightly with the same result. Now we are getting somewhere; this smelled an awful lot like a short-circuit of some sort. When looking closely at the joints on the solderside, there was alot of them looking very nasty:

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 11.jpg

This is just 2 examples, but this board has extremely many of them. So started a shotgun-scheme, where I did a reflow on the nasty joints I could see checking the board every time. After about 10 of them with no luck, I decided to change strategy into a more systematic brute-force approach. Started by cleaning the lower half of the board using rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 12.jpg

Then starting at ground-zero (the place where I had to apply the least pressure to provoke the fault), I began the process of reflowing the joints on every IC while working my way to the edges of the board. After having done an IC, I tested the board. And on the 18th IC I hit the jackpot!

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 13.jpg

It was this PROM who was the little troublemaker };-)

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 14.jpg

And now all the sprites looked good at all times };-D

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 15.jpg

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 16.jpg

Just before I close this log off, I'd like to share with you all this piece of beautiful hairdresser art };-P

Pcb repair fighting soccer bootleg 17.jpg

Repair Logs converted to wiki format by Brad from Aussie Arcade.